USAA, or United Services Automobile Association, is a company that offers various financial services to military members and their families, including homeowners insurance. If you’re a member of the military or a veteran, or you’re related to one, you may be eligible for USAA’s homeowners insurance. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what USAA homeowners insurance covers and how it works.
USAA Homeowners insurance
USAA homeowners insurance policies generally offer coverage for the following:
- Dwelling coverage: This type of coverage protects your home and other structures on your property, such as a detached garage or shed.
- Personal property coverage: This coverage protects your personal belongings, such as furniture, electronics, and clothing.
- Liability coverage: This coverage protects you if someone is injured on your property or if you cause damage to someone else’s property.
- Additional living expenses coverage: This coverage pays for expenses if you are unable to live in your home due to a covered loss.
In addition to these basic coverage options, USAA offers several optional coverages, including:
- Flood insurance: This coverage protects your home and belongings from damage caused by floods, which are not covered by standard homeowners insurance policies.
- Earthquake insurance: This coverage protects your home and belongings from damage caused by earthquakes, which are not covered by standard homeowners insurance policies.
- Valuable personal property insurance: This coverage provides additional protection for valuable items such as jewelry, art, and collectibles.
- Home sharing coverage: This coverage provides protection for homeowners who rent out their homes on websites such as Airbnb.
How it works
To get started with USAA homeowners insurance, you’ll need to become a member of USAA. To be eligible, you must be an active-duty military member, a veteran who was honorably discharged, or the spouse or child of an eligible military member.
Once you’re a member, you can get a quote for homeowners insurance online or by phone. USAA will ask you about your home and personal property, as well as any optional coverages you’re interested in.
If you decide to purchase a policy, you’ll pay a monthly or annual premium. In the event of a covered loss, you’ll file a claim with USAA. USAA will send an adjuster to assess the damage and determine the amount of your claim. If your claim is approved, USAA will pay you the amount of your claim minus your deductible.
USAA also offers several discounts for homeowners insurance, including a bundling discount if you have multiple policies with USAA, a home security system discount, and a claims-free discount.
USAA homeowners insurance is a great option for military members and their families. The company offers comprehensive coverage options, optional coverages, and discounts, and has a strong reputation for customer service. If you’re in the market for homeowners insurance, it’s worth considering USAA.